Tuesday 15 January 2008


AN ODE TO A TRUE ROMANTIC


This is a belated post on the passing away of a great Nigerian writer and patriot.I am aware a lot of people have posted on his death,but I would like to mention my love for his romanticism of the Nigerian landscape and folklore,as captured in his books such as `The passport of Mallam Ilia`,`The burning grass`,`An African Night`s entertainment`,`Jagua Nana` etc.This writer holds a unique place for weaving tales and capturing the emotions of simple characters that make the ordinary seem sensenational.

I am particularly interested in the fact that he has great interest and knowledge in Northern Nigerian folklore and cukture as evidenced by his works.This coming from his background as an Ibo national,having grown from the north and appreciating the culture of the savanna and desert,he epitomises an example for intercultural understanding and love.

I celebrate his life and craft as a great romantic,and I look forward to more of his spirit.

1 comment:

LadyWritesTheBlues said...

I love your blog! It gives me an opportunity to explore things outside of my little box! ;)